Teenager dies from drug reaction

Fourteen year old rugby enthusiast Shaun Jones of Pontypridd died on October 21st after suffering a suspected allergic reaction to antibiotics prescribed for his acne. He developed breathing difficulties and collapsed after taking the pills. Acne medication does warn of the dangers of potential allergic respiratory tract and skin reactions, but deaths are described as very rare.

The drug has not been named until after medical tests have been completed.

First published November 2008


Click here for more research reports



Top of page